“What is gynecomastia in men?” Is probably one of the most asked questions when it comes to gynecomastia or “man boobs”. Gynecomastia is the enlargement of male breasts that make the male chest look like female breasts. There is an excessive growth of breast tissue in adult males that can be caused by factors such as hormonal imbalance, certain internal diseases, Klinefelter’s syndrome and prolonged exposure to certain kinds of medications.
There are more possible answers to what causes male breasts to enlarge and you can find a more comprehensive list here.
Gynecomastia can be a very embarrassing situation, which is why methods on how to hide gynecomastia, how to reduce gynecomastia and gynecomastia removal are the hottest topics related to treatment options. But before we go into the treatment options, it is important to remember the following:
- Have yourself tested by a licensed physician to ensure that your condition is indeed gynecomastia
- Prepare yourself physically, emotionally and financially for the different treatment options that your doctor may open to you.
- Keep in mind that the treatment options listed below are the possible ones out there. It is still your doctor, who will determine which one is best suited for your medical condition.
- When reading the information below, you may want to consider what you value. Are you worried about scarring? Do you want a temporary or permanent solution? How much are you willing to shell out for treatment?
Now that that is out of the way, check out some of the treatment options for gynecomastia:
In summary, here are the four main options for gynecomastia treatment:
|Surgery||Incisions, invasive procedure||Yes||High||Long term
|Health supplements||Taking oral supplements||No||Mid||Months
|Compression vest||Wearing the vest or shirt all the time||No||Low||Temporary and reversible|
|Drug treatment||Taking oral medications||No||Mid||Months
Surgery or gynecomastia excision is considered to be the most effective, most guaranteed way of getting rid of gynecomastia. Some people call it mastectomy that is done for gynecomastia but in essence it is not. See, mastectomy is a cancer treatment and gynecomastia and breast cancer are different things. Let us look at the pros and cons of gynecomastia surgery.
- It is a medical procedure that guarantees results that you can see within a matter of days.
- This type of treatment is the only personalized kind of treatment because the surgeon discusses the extent of the procedure that is only suited for you, considering your age, physical fitness, medical history and the gravity of gynecomastia condition you have.
- There are gynecomastia surgery scars, but they will be at a minimum.
- Gynecomastia surgery program also involves wearing a compression vest after so in effect, you get two treatments in one.
- The gynecomastia surgery price is probably the most common deal breaker with many patients. The surgery can cost a lot and it may not be covered by your insurance policy.
- Going through surgery means you will have to be off work for a few days to keep the swelling down.
- The doctor will also recommend to take a few weeks off heavy work and lifting post surgery. To others that may create issues in the work or daily living.
If you are asking yourself “does insurance cover gyno surgery?”, you may find the answer to that over here.
Supplements/ Gynecomastia Treatment Pills
Gynecomastia supplements are considered to be the second most effective way to reduce breast enlargement in men. Some of the most popular brands in the market today are Gynexin Alpha Formula and UltimateGynemax.
- Gynecomastia treatment pills are cheap compared to surgery.
- For a product like Gynexin, the manufacturer’s claim that it is 95% effective and that the results can be seen in the first few months of use.
- Taking gynecomastia treatment pills means you will not have to take time off from work, won’t suffer from surgery pain and scars.
- Gynecomastia treatment pills are still not dirt cheap, averaging $70 for a 30-day supply.
- Supplements take longer to work so that means the costs can also pile up.
- Gynecomastia treatment pills may not be suited for other gynecomastia patients with other medical conditions.
- Client reviews and ratings on the pills vary, indicating mixed feelings regarding the effectiveness of gynecomastia treatment pills.
A more in-depth look at male breast reduction supplements, brands and reviews can be found here.
The use of turmeric to deal with man boobs has been widely talked about in health forums for male bodybuilding and fitness blogs. The common practice is to drink boiled turmeric or turmeric capsules to lessen the puffiness of nipples and the largeness of the breasts.
The premise behind the supposed effect of turmeric are as follows:
- Turmeric is an estrogen blocker at the cellular level, which is helpful if the gynecomastia roots from hormonal imbalance.
- Turmeric reduces inflammation
- This herb also boosts testosterone levels in insulin resistant patients.
- Turmeric improves liver function, which is helpful for gynecomastia that roots from liver disease.
- Turmeric is cheap and readily available
- The procedure to consume turmeric is straightforward and easy
- Turmeric has other possible benefits such as weight loss, energy booster, and stress reducer.
- There are mixed reactions as to the effectiveness of turmeric for gynecomastia.
- Turmeric tastes horrible for most people.
Drug treatment for gynecomastia is also a possible treatment option. The most common brands in the market today are Tamoxifen, Nolvadex, Raloxifene, Danazol Oral and Letrozole. These drugs are commonly used as estrogen blockers or as part of breast cancer treatment options.
- You can find proof of the level of effectiveness because these are medications that are approved by the US Food and Drug Administration.
- It is possible to discuss these drug options with your physicians so you will know which one suits your pre-existing conditions best.
- These medications were not specifically formulated to address gynecomastia per se so you are not really sure how long it will take to be effective.
- Some of the drugs are not for people with liver problems, which may be tricky if your gynecomastia is caused by internal diseases.
- It is harmful to take medications without proper prescriptions from your doctor.
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)
This type of treatment makes use of Adractim, a topical gel that is rubbed onto the affected area.
- This is a non-invasive treatment so there is no pain or scarring to be expected.
- The process is easy to do.
- The initial results can be seen within 10 days.
- The HRT kits are about $150, which is way cheaper than surgery and upkeep of supplements.
- It is considered to be a short-term treatment.
- The components of the gel may cause allergic reactions to other sensitive individuals.
- The initial treatment is limited to 2 tubes for 3 months or less. Extended use has to be approved by a physician.
This process calls for a tiny incision to be made (usually next to the armpit) so that fat can be drawn out of the chest area.
- It is cheaper than the actual surgery.
- Liposuction leaves the chest looking natural.
- Liposuction does not take a lot of time and leaves very little scarring.
- It involves a little down time, some possible swelling and bruising.
- There is a possibility of having baggy skin after liposuction is performed.
- Liposuction is not recommended for people who are at high risks for complications like blood clot issues, pulmonary problems and obesity for example.
Low Dose Radiation
There is not a lot to be said about low dose radiation as a treatment for gynecomastia except it is only effective in the early stages of breast enlargements.
Compression vests or shirts are considered as temporary treatment for gynecomastia. It is possible to have long term effects, but only for those who are diagnosed with gynecomastia earlier on in their life.
- Wearing the compression vest or shirt gives an instant effect of disappearance of man boobs.
- Compression shirts or vests are way cheaper (range is from $20 to $100) than surgical procedures and supplements to take.
- You can choose the style and comfort you prefer in a vest. You can even pick one that is easiest to wear under your other pieces of clothing.
- Using a compression vest does not require for you to change your lifestyle drastically.
- Gynecomastia is not really addressed from its root cause.
- Once you take the shirt or vest off, the man boobs are still there.
- Compression shirts and vests are not ideal for outdoor activities and sporting events. It cannot hide gynecomastia in the beach, pool or other shirtless situations.
Find out more about gynecomastia compression shirts or vests here.
There are several gynecomastia treatment options available today. For those of us who have very busy lifestyles, there just is not enough time to flip through lengthy articles to learn about what each treatment is all about. We totally get what you mean so here is a quick rundown of the most common and most popularly used gynecomastia treatment options out there:
|Gynecomastia Surgery||Permanent||About $6500 - $7000|
|Liposuction||Semipermanent||Hundreds to thousands of dollars depending on how much work needs to be done|
|Gynecomastia pills||Mixed reactions about effectivity||$70 one month supply|
|Compression shirts or vests||Temporary and reversible.||$20-$100 (depending on product style and material)|
- Always consult with a licensed physician and undergo the necessary tests.
- Manage your expectations and remember that the results are not going to happen overnight.
- Choose the treatment option that best suits your personal goals, health condition and the working budget that you have.
- Gynecomastia involves excessive growth of fat tissues in the breast area, this means that making those fat tissues go away and stay gone involves some form of hard work and maintenance (i.e. diet and exercise).